From: "Will H" <haynewp(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: IBC 1807.2.23 CAP INTERCONNECTION
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:58:59 -0400

According to this provision in IBC, "Individual pile caps, piers or piles shall be interconnected by ties".

1) I interpret this to mean basically that all pile caps must be connected no matter how many piles per pile cap. I have a friend who thinks this means only pile caps that have (1) pile are required to be tied to other caps to achieve lateral stability. And if there are (2) piles in a cap, this means the pile cap only needs to be tied in one direction and not both. Am I correct?

2) When tieing all these caps together, what is the usual approach in handling the force from the lateral resisting elements? For example, I tie a typical column supporting pile cap to the pile cap of my large shear wall, this grade beam will also be receiving a large load from the shear wall cap.

I am new to deep foundations, thank you for any advice

Will