RE: IBC 1807.2.23 CAP INTERCONNECTION

That's a great idea, I will discuss with the geotech.

From: THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: IBC 1807.2.23 CAP INTERCONNECTION
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:45:16 -0700

Will,

Unless you have really lousy soil near the surface you can over excavate
horizontally around the pile caps and re-compact with good structural
backfill to 95 percent or backfill with a cement slurry.  The correct
specifications, extents, and details would need to be discussed and
confirmed with your geotech.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Will H" <haynewp(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
06/18/2004 10:26 AM
Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc

Subject
RE: IBC 1807.2.23 CAP INTERCONNECTION

Thanks for replies,

Thomas,

Unfortunately, according to the geotech my soil would not be classified as

hard cohesive or very dense (it is in Site Class E) so I don't think I can

justify the passive resistance for equivalent restraint.

Harold,

Yes, it is IBC 2000.

For my second question,

I know that according to 1807.2.23, you have to design the grade beam for
"the product of the larger pile cap or column load time Sds dividied by
10"
this is for the typical pile cap.

My thought was that at pile caps of LATERAL resisting elements of the
building (ie. I plan on putting the elevator core on piles too), a
tremendous amount of shear is going to be introduced into the elevator
pile
cap to the adjacent typical column pile cap through the grade beam, well
beyond the 1807.2.23 minimum. Unless I don't tie the elevator cap to any
other adjacent pile caps, which I don't think is in keeping with the
provision of the Code.

I am just thinking that at least some of all that lateral force will make
it's way into my grade beam and push the adjacent column piles and cap,
but
how much? I don't think designing the grade beam for all the lateral force

is logical, I think it would take a portion of the force that is based on
the resistance from the column pile cap in relation to the elevator pile
cap.
Does this make sense?

thanks

Will