Re: Old Steel Look

What is "pack rust"?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harold Sprague" <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 11:53 AM
Subject: RE: Old Steel Look

Richard,

Almost all of the high strength bolt manufactures offer a button headed bolt
which looks like a rivet.  It will have a nut on the opposite side, but just
show most of the button sides where there is the most exposure.

Cast iron shapes look almost identical to steel shapes in general.  How they
were assembled created differences.

Commonly used older columns included
Latticed columns
4 angles and a plate columns
Cover plated shapes that were plates riveted to a W member were also used as
columns

Consider steel joists that use angles for chords, and use heavier chords.

I would not use weathering steel for any trusses because of the potential
for pack rust.

Harold Sprague

>From: richard lewis <rlewistx(--nospam--at)juno.com>
>To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>Subject: Old Steel Look
>Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:30:16 -0500
>
>I am working on the renovation of an old building.  It is an old downtown
>strip store that will be turned into legal offices.  The client wants an
>exposed structure look.  I need to put in some new steel beams and
>columns to support the roof so they can remove a masonry bearing wall.  I
>was wondering since this is exposed, and they want a "historic" flavor to
>the structure does somebody make steel beams and columns that look like
>the old cast iron shapes?  Any fasteners that may look like a rivet?
>
>Thanks for any insight.

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page - FREE