Re: Old Steel Look

Thanks for all the helpful information.

I understand what you are talking about with old members from built-up
shapes.  I guess I was thinking of something different.  I was thinking
of an old cast iron pipe column with some fancy capital type thing at the
top and something similar at the bottom.  I know you can get these out of
fiberglass for large exterior column wraps.  I would like something in
the range of 4-5" dia. pipe.

Rich

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:07:57 -0500 "Jason W. Kilgore" <jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com>
writes:
> > I am working on the renovation of an old building.  It is an old
> > downtown strip store that will be turned into legal offices.  The
> > client wants an exposed structure look.  I need to put in some
> new
> > steel beams and columns to support the roof so they can remove a
> > masonry bearing wall.  I was wondering since this is exposed, and
> > they want a "historic" flavor to the structure does somebody make
> > steel beams and columns that look like the old cast iron shapes?
> > Any fasteners that may look like a rivet?
>
> In can't think of a fastener that looks like a rivet, except for the
> back
> side of twist-off TC bolts.
>
> Suggestions for an "old" look:
>  - Use built-up sections instead of solid (columns from 4 angles and
> plate, for example)
>  - Use "S", "C", and "L" shapes instead of "W".
>  - Bolt everything.  Weld nothing.
>  - After installing the structural steel, sand-blast everything
> (beams,
> columns, bolts, etc.) and finish with a clear sealant.  It will give
> the
> steel a dark, weathered look.  A local contractor that I work with
> uses this
> method with good results.
>  - Does the "new" steel need to be fire rated?
>
> ---
> Jason Kilgore
> Leigh & O'Kane, LLC
> Kansas City, Missouri