Re: proprietary carbon wraps

> From: "Paul Crocker" <pcrocker(--nospam--at)reidmidd.com>
>
> "First, if the govt entity allows you to spec a specific product, but say, =
> "OR APPROVED EQUAL", that is an easy way to handle it."
>
> That has always been my preference, but this entity doesn't like that.  =
> They believe, probably correctly, that this gives a huge advantage to the =
> specified product, since any product that is proprietary enough to need to =
>  be specified this way probably doesn't have an exact equal.  In my =
> experience, the suppliers are all well aware of the subtle and sometimes =
> insignificant differences between themselves and their rivals, and are =
> happy to use these to demonstrate that the competition is not equal, even =
> if it is just fine for the designer's purposes. =20

Better to state, "<generic description>; proposed type to be submitted
for acceptance by <the Engineer>." Aside from all the other issues, the
original statement does not qualify who does the approving nor must the
proposed replacement be "equal." In this revision, the engineer has the
opportunity to review variances of proposed types, only, rather than
trying to qualify all similar products or searching to locate new
varieties. The minor or proprietary variances can be ignored at the
approver's discretion.

It is convenient to use a common brand as an example, when permissible.
The spec'd brand receives a benefit from direct identification but it
may be easier to obtain. It will also tend to be the higher price, but
review/research time is money, too.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International