Number of Jobs

I get the impression that we (engineers) are moving from job to job more frequently than in previous decades. It seems that this is accepted (to an extent) and I also get the feeling that employers would rather hire someone with multiple jobs (say within a 10 year span) as opposed to someone who has only had one. Maybe it is viewed as a person who has had several jobs is more likely to have seen a greater variety of projects and dealt with a wider range of personalities than someone who has been at the same place for a long period of time? I don't know.

I was wondering what the opinions are as far as an optimum amount of time at a place of employment in US companies. By optimum I mean in terms of marketability and career advancement.

Will