RE: Number of Jobs

From: "Will H" <haynewp(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 23:16:39 -0400

I was wondering what the opinions are as far as an optimum amount of time at a place of employment in US companies. By optimum I mean in terms of marketability and career advancement.

The optimum amount of time at a place is mostly a preception of whatever and employer thinks is true, even if it is isn't.

Government work (civil service) looks on a long term employment history as a plus, and short term employment history as evidence that one can't hold a job.

Companies that obtain work via medium and large contracts don't really care about long term employment in that when the contract is over, they will instantly drop their employees like a rock. At warp speed. An additional problem is that such companies treat engineers as a trade instead of a profession. Union trades at least have hiring halls to better coordinate the availability of work, the dispursement of benefits, and good political clout. Engineers have something called engineering societies that seem more concerned about selling books and conference attendence than representing the interests of engineers to employers at the trade level.

I can't say much about companies that obtain work via small contracts, I don't have enough experience with them to generalize. But my impression is that in that market there is enormous economic pressure to jump to conclusions.

As you can see, the market for engineering skills has many diffferent flavors, even within the same discipline or subdiscipline. Unfortuantely, it is the moving between flavors that is difficult.

I'm sure I'll be flamed on this.  Apologies in advanced.

Ray Pixley