RE: span length

A lot of what you are asking is very subjective relative to local building practices. Frankly I am a bit surprised that you are not in a precast system. I would also be looking at a shear wall system. This all makes a difference in the response to your inquiry. PCA is a good resource for local practices in many different systems. I would also suggest that you get a copy of "Simplified Design" by the Portland Cement Association.
Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: spivak(--nospam--at)suspicious.org
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: span length
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 01:28:51 -0700 (PDT)

I am designing a concrete frame for a five storey residential building in
a medium-hazard quake zone. The architectural plans dictate that the max.
clear span lengths are around 6.60m (approx. 22ft).
Beam dimensions are 10"x20".
Are these parameters feasible to implement?
What are some of the big span lengths you have encountered for residential
multi-storey buildings?

If its too much, what are some typical values for beam dimensions you guys
use?

Thanks.