RE: Weight room design Loads....

Mike:

We use 100 psf live load...but the critical thing is typically vibration,
not so much
Static loading.

Reason:

The steroid infused knuckle heads who work out at these places all seem to
think that they're at Athens this summer and drop the damn things all day
long.

In the fitness clubs we design, the locker rooms are often under the free
weight
Mezzanine (steel frame and composite deck, due to the spans involved), the
impact and response of the floor system under these dynamic loads tends to
be a little disconcerting when you're taking a shower...ceiling tiles coming
loose and dropping
Onto people's heads...

Solution:

Several layers of heavy rubber mats under the weight areas to absorb the
free weight impact.

David L. Fisher SE PE
Fisher + partners
372 West Ontario