Re: Curtainwall design fees

The best way may be to look over the job, estimate the time it will take you, apply appropriate billing rates and miscellaneous costs, and work from there.  The tricky part with curtainwall design can be that the complexity can vary quite a bit (like anything else) based on the layout and the expectations.  Once you start throwing brick and associated ledgers and architectural pilasters at a basic light-gauge layout, a design can become more time-consuming very quickly.  The variability in opening dimensions can also cause work to add up quickly, and particularly large openings may require HSS sections and their associated embed plate and slip connections for the top.  These all make the job more challenging in a fun way if you have the fee to cover them.

Paul Crocker, PE, SE

>>> "Paul Feather" <pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net> 06/21/04 02:51PM >>>
How do you determine fee structures for curtainwall design?

Paul Feather PE, SE
pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net
www.SE-Solutions.net