Re: Number of Jobs

Will:

Others have basically offered good thoughts...things similar to what I
will likely repeat some here.

From my experience, it is largely a question of what individual employers
want/expect (in terms of whether they will be willing to hire you) and
what you as an individual want/need out of your career (in terms of what
you look for in a job...i.e. pay above all else or a steady good
environment).

I know some engineering managers that WANT someone that have moved around
some but then kind of "settled down" after a period of time.  This tells
them that the engineer has seen some different situations and companies
and potentially is more steady and has some broad experience.  Others
truely want someone who shows no signs of needing/wanting to move on
(which can mean that they are "ripe" for kind of being "abused" with
little worry that they will bail on the company).  I also know some that
don't care one way or another...they make the decision on individual
situations.

And then I know some engineers that WANT to work for one company for their
entire career (something that is harder and harder to do now a days).  I
know others that get bored with doing the same thing over and over again
because the company has little variation in the type of projects that they
work on so they move frequently to keep working on interesting things.

So, to me, it is rather difficult to put a blanket statement on.
Basically, it depends (on a variety of things).  So, from my perspective,
there is not really optimum time.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI