re: Modeling Rubber in SAP2000

I don't think SAP or any other standard software would model rubber. A special purpose program needs to be developed taking in to account proper constitutive laws for the material.

Rajendran

"Jordan Truesdell, PE" <seaint(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com> wrote:

>Young's modulus and poisson's ratio are not really the right material
>properties for a detailed analysis. PR = 0.5 will always blow up the kernel
>matrix because of the divisor term (1-2*PR). Thats why SAP won't let you do
>it.

This is also why it is a good idea not to use .499999999 as v. The matrix
inversion won't fail, but you'll have a very large stiffness on your K
matrix diagonal, relative to the rest of your structure. The roundoff
errors, even using double precision, can cause inaccuracies in your
model. Not being a user of the popular SE analysis packages, I don't know
what kind of checking results you get (NASTRAN will output a value of the
largest/smallest eigenvalue ratio. The "old" standard was 1000:1 - anything
higher and your model was generally poor wrt element uniformity and you
should consider a better model technique)

Jordan Truesdell, PE

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org

Do you Yahoo!?