Re: Mechanical concrete pad on 3" roof deck

Reza,
  The amount of concrete in the valleys will probably contribute insignificantly to the dead load, yet provide bearing at the supports so the deck is releived of said burden.
JPRiley
----------------
Paul & Daryl,

Since roof deck (unlike a floor deck)can not act as composite, any concrete
fill in flutes will only add to the dead load and our deck is almost at its
capacity. Insulation is part of the general detail for the roof and is also
used to shape the necessary slopes for drainage. So I was thinking of
filling the flutes with insulation and have less concrete, thus less dead
load.

Thanks,
Reza

>From: Daryl Richardson <h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca>
>To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>Subject: Re: Mechanical concrete pad on 3" roof deck
>Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:21:21 -0600
>
>Reza,
>
>         Why not just pour the concrete directly into he roof deck flutes?
>Why use any insulation at all?
>
>Regards,  H. Daryl Richardson
>
>Reza Dashti Asl wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > In one of our projects we have been asked to provide 4" concrete pad for
> > mechanical equipments (like roof top packages) on 3" metal roof deck.
> > 1- Can we have 3" insulation in low flutes and then pour the concrete on
>top
> > or even have more insulation (if required) and then place the concrete
>on
> > top of the insulation? What are the possible problms or requirements
>that I
> > should check?
> > 2- Is 4" the min. required thickness for these pads or can we have, say,
> > 2.5" or 3"?
> > I appreciate all comments.
> >
> > Reza Dashti P.Eng.
> > Vancouver, BC

Add photos to your e-mail with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE*

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com