Re: Construction law for structural engineers

Thanks Gail,

I know the ACI book you're referring to. I got my copy
in the mail last week. I have not read it yet. It
looks to be an "ok" book - not as good as "The
Contractor's Guide to Change Orders", by Andrew
Civitello. I recommend the Civitello book to every
structural engineer. It is a spectacular introduction
into the legal aspects of the contract documents that
we produce.

As if building codes and design standards are not
getting harder and harder to understand; as if
schedules and fees are not shrinking and shrinking,
now we have to be legal experts as well as structural
engineers.

This profession is getting very frustrating. I am sure
glad that I'm not a young engineer just starting out
in the profession. I'm sure glad that I did not
encourage my kids to become structural engineers.

Cliff Schwinger