Re: Construction law for structural engineers

As much as we think the contractor should find our blatant ommissions, "cardinal knowledge" will probably bury us every time.  I think that is the proper phrase that basically means if we missed it as designers, then the guy bidding it over a much shorter period of time can't be expected to catch anything.

As far as paying for it, if it is something that would be a part of normal construction, then why wouldn't the owner pay for it just as they would have if it was on the drawings in the first place?  There should be laws forcing the contractor to submit a fair and reasonable price.

Good luck

James Wilson, PE
wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com
Stroudsburg, PA