Plug Welds

Hello Experts,

I need to provide a series of plug welds to transfer moment through a splice
plate splicing two bent plate lintels.  The splice plate is 5/8" thick.  The
fabricator says he can safely weld the perimeter of a 15/16" hole.  Can I
safely specify a 5/16" fillet, and use the effective throat of a 5/16"
fillet (0.22") and the circumference of the 15/16" hole as the weld area?

Please reply directly as I am in digest mode.

Thanks,

Don Bryant