RE: SECB Certification Program for SE's

Jake:

Like you, I am on the younger side.

To me, the issue of grandfathering is more about "buying" off those who
would not otherwise support the change (and presumably harder
requirements) because they don't want to go through the extra effort or
would not pass the possibly harder (and additional) exams.  But, that is
just my opinion.

In _THEORY_ the idea of grandfathering is that they would in THEORY pass
under the new system (after all, "they have been doing this for XX years,
so they MUST know what they are doing").  But, like you, I think this
theory is largely a load of crap in many cases.

Like you, I wonder why they can't just take the new/additional exams like
newer engineers would have to.  But, then the changes (i.e. seperate SE
licenses) would not happen.

I also realize that the practical side of it is that _IF_ you now require
structural drawings to be sealed by someone with this new SE license in a
state, you actually need to have people with the new SE license.  And the
quick way to get those people in the short term is to grandfather them.
After all, if grandfathered no one, but all structural drawings had to be
sealed by a newly created SE licensed individual, then how would you get
the hundreds or so new building designed and sealed until enough people
passed the exams.  So, there is a practical side (granted there are ways,
such as putting the new license in effect at least in terms of obtaining
it, but not have it become required for sealing drawings for a couple
years after it is created).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI