Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 7:33 PM
Subject: RE: SECB Certification Program for SE's

As many of you know, I am most certainly not the oldest engineer reading this list.  I have a particularly loaded question.  How does grand-fathering help anyone (beyond those being grand-fathered)?  I understand that the assumption is that anyone grand-fathered supposedly already meets all the new requirements.  For example, it is assumed that they would pass any exam with flying colors.  It seems to me, that if they so easily meet the new standards, why can't they prove it just like all the younger engineers?

Yes, this is a bit of sour grapes.  However, here is Utah there are many "senior" engineers who where grand-fathered and given an S.E. license when our law passed several years ago.  I wouldn't trust several of these guys to design a tooth-pick.  Now I am required to pass a fairly difficult exam to be considered an "equal" to these guys?  How is a new client who has never used either of us to know the difference (besides his fee is 1/3 of mine)?

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT