RE: ASCE Membership - Is it worthwhile?

Bill:

I have been a member of ASCE since 1971 and dropped my membership last year for the same reasons that you state. I was always reluctant to not join but eventually came to conclusion that it just wasn't worth (approx.) $150 a year.

Jim K.

 From: Bill Allen [mailto:T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 9:53 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: ASCE Membership - Is it worthwhile?

Colleagues;

I was a member of ASCE years and years ago when I graduated. IIRC, the reason I dropped my membership is that the bulk of the material I received was non-structural related and the structural journal was (and probably still is) way over my head and more conducive to academia (IMHO) than the practical world I lived (and still do) in.

I am reconsidering membership, but, with everything I join or subscribe to today, I question its value to me. Regardless of the price, I don’t need to join just to join or to just get another magazine or for some other petty (again, IMHO) reason. These days, I want value for my membership.

I don’t need the insurance, so that wouldn’t be a reason.

Are there other reasons why I should join?

TIA,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

V/F (949) 248-8588

San Juan Capistrano, CA

http://www.AllenDesigns.com