K factor Approximation for Trussed Girders

Fellow engineers:

I am trying to analyze a frame that was built in 1947 and was never considered to take lateral load.  I noticed that if I use a k = 2, the existing column will not support half of the weight that it currently should under just DL+LL.  The girders framing into the column are trusses.  I can get an approximate I for the truss based on the stiffness of the truss.  Can I use a lower k value based on the I/l ratios of the truss girder -vs- the wide flange column?

Brian S. Bossley, EIT
Ventura Engineering
7610 Olentangy River Rd.
Columbus, OH 43235