RE: ASCE Membership - Is it worthwhile?

Following are my reasons for being a member of ASCE, in order of importance
to me:

1. My employer pays the membership fee. (I sometimes contribute to special
funds or purchase journals on my own, but if there little cost to me, why
not maintain membership? I first joined ASCE as a Student Member and have
been a member for 30 years. ASCE did come out with a more practical
Structural related journal entitled "Practice Periodical on Structural
Design and Construction" - I got it for a while, but I find Structural
Engineer magazine to be of more direct value to me for design related
information.)

2. Discount life insurance. (My previous employer did not pay my membership
fees, but I found that the savings I got on life insurance offset most of
the membership costs.)

3. Attendance at local ASCE meetings. (This is my primary opportunity to
talk to other local engineers outside of my company - and I enjoy talking to
engineers in related fields but who are not just "Structurals". We also have
technical break-out sessions for the Structural Technical Group that can be
interesting and provide "PDH's" for continuing education. And I hear more
about local engineering projects at such meetings.)

4. Discounts on ASCE publications. (A benefit to both my employer and
myself, depending on who is paying for the publication.)

5. SEI membership. (I had great hopes when this group was established, but
I'm not yet settled on how much direct benefit I get from this group. It at
least gives me more direct Structural Engineering related information than
ASCE did without it.)

6. Contributions to an organization that acts as advocate for Civil
Engineers (and for Structural Engineers via SEI). (I wish that this were
higher on the list. I think they do well in tracking Federal legislation
that impacts Civil Engineers, but I would like to see more advocacy related
to employment conditions, improvement in engineering fees, quality in
engineering, etc.)

7. Civil Engineering magazine. (Some articles of interest, but there are
other magazines that I find of more benefit to me.)

Currently, I am more active in the American Concrete Institute with respect
to participation in committees, conventions, etc., and find it of more
practical value to my everyday work.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO