Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: De-welding

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Air gouging (air/arc) is just a fancy way to thermally "cut" through metal.  I think the original question was considering heating the metal/weld then pulling them cleanly apart.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Sherman, William" <ShermanWC(--nospam--at)>

06/24/2004 12:11 PM

Please respond to

RE: De-welding

My understanding is that welds can be removed by "air gouging", i.e. the
weld is heated to melting temperature and an air jet blows out the molten
metal. But I would expect that the original pieces would require some new
weld filler to replace the molten material removed.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311
Fax: 303-293-8236
email: shermanwc(--nospam--at)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alden Manipula [mailto:amanipula(--nospam--at)]
> Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 11:47 AM
> To: SEAINT Listserve
> Subject: De-welding
> Can two pieces of metal be de-welded without harming either
> piece?  I'm guessing it's not like desoldering a resistor out
> of a circuit board w/ a vaccum pump.

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
*   site at:
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********