RE: De-welding

Air gouging (air/arc) is just a fancy way to thermally "cut" through metal.  I think the original question was considering heating the metal/weld then pulling them cleanly apart.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Sherman, William" <ShermanWC(--nospam--at)cdm.com>

06/24/2004 12:11 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
RE: De-welding

My understanding is that welds can be removed by "air gouging", i.e. the
weld is heated to melting temperature and an air jet blows out the molten
metal. But I would expect that the original pieces would require some new
weld filler to replace the molten material removed.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311