Re: De-welding

Not like solder, no.  The welding process melts together the weld metal and the area of the pieces to be connected under the weld metal.  Soldering only melts the solder, and then the molten solder flows into the wires and joints, cools, and ties them together.  As others have elaborated up, there are a number of ways to approach removing welds, but they all do a little bit of localized (and often repairable) damage.  I have seen welds pop off with little or no damage to the underlying metal, but those were BAD welds, and you normally don't want that to happen.

Paul Crocker, PE, SE

>>> "Alden Manipula" <amanipula(--nospam--at)novagroupinc.net> 06/24/04 10:46AM >>>
Can two pieces of metal be de-welded without harming either piece?  I'm
guessing it's not like desoldering a resistor out of a circuit board w/ a
vaccum pump.