RE: There's got to be a better way than the way I'm doing it

I don't know how your floor plan CAD file is set up, but this might
help.

The wall lines would be made of just single LINEs, not polylines.  The
lisp routine this link gives you will show the total length all LINE
objects.

Give it a try.  The lisp will give you a total length, as simple as
that, of all the LINE object.  You will have to manipulate your drawing
accordingly to make this work for.

http://www.dotsoft.com/public/linesum.lsp

Y i   Y a n g,   P. E.
STRUCTURAL DIVISION