RE: Dropping the ball (was Non-structural component callouts)

Cliff, while I agree with you as to the "intent" of what the architect is
"supposed" to do, the structural engineer has to be realistic and realize
that the engineer must also be proactive regarding making sure features
essential to structural integrity are addressed.

I work on water and wastewater treatment projects - rather than an architect
doing the leading, we have engineers who are Project Managers doing the
leading. They are supposed to "quarterback" for the design team as you
suggest - but reality is that they may not be as keenly aware of the
importance of some items as the structural engineer is. Thus, I consider as
part of my QA checking for structural work to also verify that others are
addressing the things that I consider essential to the proper functioning of
my own work. Of course, that takes extra time and I am constantly fighting
the "battle of the budget" to complete the level of quality that I feel is
required.

In my opinion, the constant reduction of fees and budgets is currently the
biggest threat to quality in structural engineering. (I've got a talk I can
give on that subject as well.)

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO