Mentor Commitment ( was: SECB Certification Program for SE's)

Jordan is right in terms of billable hours and time and energy, but Scott is
all too correct with regard to working conditions.

Having experienced the situation Scott describes and then some on a first
hand basis, I agree that other than Building Authority organizations most
firms give very little support to younger engineers for professional
involvement or exam prep.  I was fortunate enough to find someone with a
different view, but it was absolutely a minority condition.

Having progressed in my career, I made a personal commitment to put my money
where my mouth was so to speak, and set company policy to where an honest
mentoring effort with respect for personal growth is more important than the
few dollars involved.  We provide payment and time for select seminars, as
well as an effort to provide proper time for new areas of exposure and
training within the office.  Without the experience of how alternate systems
measure up or differ from expectations it is hard to develop the intuitive
sense needed for the art of our profession.

The question is, how many others are taking their responsibility seriously?
As professionals, we are supposed to be more than capital tools.  As an
industry the concept of mentoring is in the historical basis of our
profession and the licensing / experience requirements are a reflection of
this.  I honestly believe that as a profession we often fall far short of
the ideal.  I grant that we are a small office, and do not have tens to
hundreds of employees so these financial commitments are not as substantial.
However I would think that with each employee generating billable hours the
proportional commitment should not be too different.

I would be interested in hearing about some of the programs and approaches
others use to provide a mentoring environment.

Paul Feather PE, SE
pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net
www.SE-Solutions.net