Re: Structural Steel Protection Below Grade

Thanks Robert

Ray Shreenan
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2004 10:11 AM
Subject: Structural Steel Protection Below Grade

Raymond:

This is a challenging one.

Two thoughts:
    1.  I recommend that outdoor steel posts always have a 6" high concrete curb above the surrounding surface encasing the base of the posts.  With concrete flush with the surface (Code compliant), rust accumulates at a very fast pace at the top of a flush concrete surface around a steel column.

    2.  You have the choice of recommendations for a 'repair'.  One might be an epoxy coating on the steel column from the finished surface up 6".  I would not recommend a paint or galvaizing repair.  Another might be to dowel-in a concrete curb over a coating of epoxy bonder to bring the top of concrete up.

With Joy and Hope,
Integrated Design Services, Inc.
Bob Freeman, Architect
Structural Designer