RE: K factor Approximation for Trussed Girders

Brian,

From what you describe, you can use a lower K value. I do find it curious
that a structure constructed in 1947 has no lateral force resisting system. It may not be what it needs to be for current code requirements, but there should be something resisting the lateral loads for over 50 years.
Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: "Brian S Bossley" <bsbossley(--nospam--at)venturaengineering.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: K factor Approximation for Trussed Girders
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:54:55 -0400

Fellow engineers:

I am trying to analyze a frame that was built in 1947 and was never considered to take lateral load. I noticed that if I use a k = 2, the existing column will not support half of the weight that it currently should under just DL+LL. The girders framing into the column are trusses. I can get an approximate I for the truss based on the stiffness of the truss. Can I use a lower k value based on the I/l ratios of the truss girder -vs- the wide flange column?

Brian S. Bossley, EIT
Ventura Engineering
7610 Olentangy River Rd.
Columbus, OH 43235