From: lrhauer(--nospam--at)earthlink.net
To: SEAOC  <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Allow. Stresses for Cast-in-Place Piles
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:06:30 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Sec. 1808.2.2 of the UBC/CBC requires that uncased cast-in-place piles be designed for 1/3 the allowable concrete stress and compressive stress of the reinf steel. I am working on a job which requires underpinning of a one story Type V structure with settlement problems due to about 8 feet of fill beneath the structure. Although I haven't designed the piles yet, which will be flag poled from the bedrock below and pinned at the top, I am concerned that applying the traditional 1,000 plf creep in the fill area as a lateral load on the piles will produce some pretty horrendous piles.

Are other engineers following this 1/3 allowable stress requirement, (and anyone with advice to give is appreciated)?

Thanks in advance,

Larry Hauer S.E.