RE: Ridge beam/joist analysis

If the loads to the sloped joist are vertical, and if the reactions at both ends can
only be vertical, then you can break down the loads, and the reactions, in the
same way.  That is, along global or local axes.  In other words, the (local) axial
and shear stresses in the sloped joist can BOTH be resisted by the (global)
vertical reactions at the wall and ridge beam.  Thus the tension at the ridge
and compression at the wall referred to by the response below are addressed
by the vertical reactions.  (Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against tying the
system together with straps.)  Without a ridge beam, if only a horizontal
reaction can be provided at the ridge, it's a different story, and, without collar
ties, that horizontal thrust won't be resisted by the (vertical only) top plate
reaction, and difficulties may ensue.  As the ridge beam deflects vertically, the
walls must displace outward a bit; however, the ridge still provides the vertical
reaction, so the system still works.

Jon Brody, SE
San Francisco