RE: Ridge beam/joist analysis

I had to think about this one a while (in between doing real work) before I
figured out the problem.

In the board-on-roller model, the horizontal "force" results from the fact
that the support reactions aren't vertical - they're normal to the sloped
board.  Since the load (gravity) is vertical and the reactions have vertical
AND horizontal components, you have unbalanced horizontal forces and a
moving board.

In the original problem, the beam was modeled flat, the reactions were
vertical, and the load was applied at an angle with horizontal and vertical
components.  This requires a horizontal component in one reaction to
compensate, with a resulting axial force in the beam.

Back to the real world -- vertical load on a sloped joist supported by a
ridge beam and wall.  If you cut notches in the joist so that a horizontal
surface rests on top of the ridge beam and wall, you have no horizontal
force.  This is the model that Nels is talking about.  If you support the
joist on a hanger with a sloped seat the reaction is no longer perfectly
vertical and you introduce a horizontal component.  This is the horizontal
force that must be resisted by the hanger, by a strap, or by nailing.

---
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, LLC
Kansas City, Missouri