Damaged Purlin and Cross-grain failure at ledger

Dennis:

I think the approach we took in the enclosed article that was published
in the Feb issue of Structure Magazine sounds great for your scenario.
QuakeWrap carbon plates can strengthen your beams significantly and
their installation is very easy.  By the way, this project just won the
2004 SEAo Arizona Award for "Excellence in Retrofit".

http://www.quakewrap.com/structuremag.pdf

Good luck on the project.

Mo Ehsani, Ph.D., S.E.
QuakeWrap