Re: Garage surcharge

Sorry, but I am an engineer, I was just making sure I was using an appropriate surcharge for the live loads in a residential garage.  Didn't feel a full highway surcharge was appropriate :-).  Also, the 2003 IBC specifies 40 psf OR a concentrated load as specified  These are surcharges in addition to the lateral soil pressure.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 5:01 PM
Subject: Re: Garage surcharge

Joe,

Retaining wall should be designed for floor live loads 50 psf and for concentrated loads for residential garage per Sec. 1607.3.3, 2001 CBC.

Surcharge from soil at retaining walls are loads in addition to the above loads in order to design a wall for sliding and overturning with safety factor of 1.5.

Please contact an engineering to analyze the retaining wall.

If you have more questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at (310) 318-0636.

Thanks!

John C.

>>> jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com 6/29/2004 4:29:41 PM >>>

We have a residential garage on a sloping site, therefore, two of the foundation walls will be retaining.  Distributed live loads from the 2003 IBC indicate a 40 psf live load for a residential garage.  If the slab weight (say 50psf) is added to that, would 90 psf be an adequate surcharge for the wall design?

Thanks,

Joe Grill