Re: Garage surcharge

Joe,

A "rule of thumb" method I have seen used by many engineers (and that I use
myself) is to add a fictitious 2 feet of soil to the retained soil.  This
works out to a 200 to 250 psf distributed surcharge depending on your soil
density.  I don't think this is in any code, but it is quick and easy, and
can be justified by soil stress distribution theories if necessary.

Dmitri Wright, PE
Progressive Consultants Inc.