RE: Garage surcharge

It's all in the semantics. Adding 2-ft of soil with 120 pcf weight adds 240
psf of vertical surcharge pressure to the surface. The effective lateral
forces due to this vertical surcharge would increase by 60 psf, based on 30
pcf EFP.

The AASHTO Standard Specifications specify a minimum live load surcharge of
2-ft of earth where "highway traffic" can pass close to below grade walls.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311