Re: garage

You didn't mention your location. There is a company in S/W Virginina called Metwood (metwood.com) which does residential pour-overs as one of their products. It's really just a couple of beams with 2" 22ga deck on top and a 4" (total) topping slab. The beams are 12" CSW/CSJs with A615 rebar (yes, A615) welded inside the top and bottom flanges before the two sections are stitch welded into a box beam. They provide a PE sealed package with all the parts - you provide the concrete and finishers. Of course, I suspect you're looking to make some design fee off of this.

It's typical to do the concrete only over the garage. Really, you're probably best off with hot-rolled sections in wall pockets, topped with 1.5", 2", or 3" form deck with 2"-3" of concrete above the flutes. You can even design it as a topping slab if you make the deck heavy enough. The cost of shipping of your deck will probably be about the same as your material charge, so another $0.50/sf for steel deck will take the concrete reinforcing variability out of the equation.

Joists are likely to be more expensive than hot rolled, even though they'll weigh significantly less. Jig setup and labor is a killer in most joists sizes below K14 series 6 or 7, according to my Hancock rep, and I've seen it on some jobs where we had to go with light joists due to seat depth restrictions.

I've been trying to get a few local residential guys to try a custom designed residential pour-over, but they ones who I do regular business with haven't run into the need just yet. I figure the materials/shipping/concrete/finishing should run about $8-10/sf, and the last Metwood pre-done job (an 8'x24' porch) was $20/sf. $10/sf is a lot of room for my fee, with builder profit margin to spare.

I'll add a question: How much is a hollow core precast slab if you choose a stock style? An 8" precast is overkill for a 24' span, even with a 2 topping slab, and most get a full 1hr rating. In the basement, you get a flush ceiling, plus a little popcorn and paint will make it like your own private Motel 8 room.