RE: Anchor Bolts in CMU

Joe,
I have always been troubled by the way the masonry people do what the do in the code development process. Their methodology is no different than concrete. Spacing and all. The problem is when you assume f'm is the same as f'c. I wish they would do some anchor research in this area. I would use the same reductions as the ACI 318.

Harold Sprague

From: "Joe Grill" <jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Anchor Bolts in CMU
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:09:44 -0700

I am looking at the anchor bolt requirements in ACI 530/02 and in particular
the shear requirements.  There are requirements for reduction of shear due
to edge distance, but nothing is said about reduction for spacing.  The UBC
had requirements for reductions for spacing less that 8 bolt diameters. The
commentary on the ACI document talks about a reduction for edge distance
less that 12 bolt diameters due to developing a full cone.  I would assume
that this would also apply to spacing even though the commentary only
mentions edge distance.  Am I right?

Thanks,

Joseph R. Grill, PE