From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 12:35 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Anchor Bolts in CMU

Joe,
I have always been troubled by the way the masonry people do what the do
in
the code development process.  Their methodology is no different than
concrete.  Spacing and all.  The problem is when you assume f'm is the
same
as f'c.  I wish they would do some anchor research in this area.  I
would
use the same reductions as the ACI 318.

Harold Sprague

>From: "Joe Grill" <jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com>
>To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>Subject: Anchor Bolts in CMU
>Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:09:44 -0700
>
>I am looking at the anchor bolt requirements in ACI 530/02 and in
>particular
>the shear requirements.  There are requirements for reduction of shear
due
>to edge distance, but nothing is said about reduction for spacing.  The
UBC
>had requirements for reductions for spacing less that 8 bolt diameters.

>The
>commentary on the ACI document talks about a reduction for edge
distance
>less that 12 bolt diameters due to developing a full cone.  I would
assume
>that this would also apply to spacing even though the commentary only
>mentions edge distance.  Am I right?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Joseph R. Grill, PE

Get tips for maintaining your PC, notebook accessories and reviews in
Technology 101. http://special.msn.com/tech/technology101.armx