Tank wall coefficients

Joe Grill wrote:
"I have a copy of a document from PCA for rectangular concrete tanks.
Does anyone have coefficient tables similar to those for a rectangular
plate with all four edges hinged and a fluid load and a plate with the
bottom and ends hinged with the top free also for a fluid load?

Thanks
Joe Grill"

Joe,
The Bureau of Reclamation has a set of tables similar to the PCA tables
but much more extensive (90 pages, actually).  The copy (of a copy of a
copy) I have is at least 20 years old, but it may be worth 10 minutes
looking at their website.  Upon checking, mine was published by the US
Gov't Printing Office in 1966, and the Preface notes that "solutions of
the simultaneous equatons were performed using an electronic
calculator..."

Also, Salvadori's book "Structural Design in Architecture" has tables
for plates.

Or, you could bite the bullet and try "Roark's Formulas for Stress and
Strain" by Warren Young.

Finally, if none of that works for you, use tha PCA tables V and VI with
the transverse wall set very long.  It's close enough.  If you think
you're modelling real plate behavior with any tabulated solution
(especially for reinforced concrete design), you should examine the
underlying assumptions more closely.  But, it's close enough.

HTH,
Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota