Re: Tank wall coefficients

I'm sometimes amazed how much angst Roark causes in the Structural world. I was chided about a plate solution I offered to someone once from Roark. The engineer wanted a table showing him moments, not stresses, and proceeded to spend quite a while longer finding the data in the format he wanted. The caveat below notwithstanding, there are few references as complete as Roark for stress and strain.

A caveat for using Roark - the derivations and tabulations are generally made assuming a linear, isotropic material in the elastic range. That may or may not be the case, depending on the code you're using and the material you're working with. For example, you shouldn't try to extrapolate the results to LRFD, and probably should avoid materials like cracked-section concrete unless you're confident in looking at how the MOI changes and stress distribution affects the results.

For those who might need a book similar to Roark, but for vibrations, try "Formulas for Natural Frequency and Mode Shape," by Blevins. It may not be an every-day kind of book, but you never know when you might want to double check that STAAD model of your new annular-ring mezzanine!

<snip>
Or, you could bite the bullet and try "Roark's Formulas for Stress and
Strain" by Warren Young.

<snip>
HTH,
Mike Hemstad, P.E.