Re: Paris airport roof collapse

At 09:00 AM 7/6/2004 -0700, Cliff Schwinger wrote:

"It is likely that this perforation was facilitated by
the prior and gradual weakening of the concrete," it
added.

HOW DOES RELATIVELY NEW CONCRETE "GRADUALLY WEAKEN"?

I wondered the same thing. The only one I could come up with is that there were shrinkage cracs around the strut penetration locations which grew over time, possibl due to thermal cycling of the structure. I suspect there's a better explanation in the report itself, and what's in the article is typical journalist-speak without any real technical usefulness.

Jordan Truesdell, PE