From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 9:15 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: OMF Connection Design

Bill,
I think that the best example of the logic of this provision is for a
reinforced concrete SMRF.  After you have computed the minimum reinforcing
steel in the connections, you then compute the plastic moment Mp for the
frame based on the actual rebar selected.  You then multiply the calculated
moment capacity times a 1.25 multiplier to account for material overstrength

to get the Mp.  Then you use the plastic moment to calculate the shears
induced into the system, and you design the stirrups/hoops to resist the
shears due to the frame's plastic moment.  There can be no more shear than
what the plastic moment can deliver.  That is the concept intended by the
authors of the steel provisions.  Perhaps it could have been written more
clearly.

The next generation ASCE 7-05 of seismic code should help.  As usual, the
ASCE 7 seismic section will be largely based on the preceding NEHRP
Provisions.  In this case the 2003 NEHRP Provisions.
The 2003 NEHRP is now available on line at http://www.bssconline.org/.

I like to read the NEHRP Provisions to my kids when I tuck them in at night.

  When they ask why, I read them the Commentary.  They look up at me and
say, "...Dad, get a life!"

Regards,
Harold Sprague

>From: BCainse(--nospam--at)aol.com
>To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>Subject: Re: OMF Connection Design
>Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 00:24:01 EDT
>
>Maybe I'm missing something but it seems that "the frame" is the "lateral
>resisting element."   "The frame" consists of columns, one or more beams
>and the
>joints connecting them.  Now the code limits the design of the "lateral
>resisting element" to the maximum force that can be delivered "to" it not
>"within"
>it.  It would seem, then, that the force used for design of "the frame"
>might
>be limited by a collector attached to the frame but not something integral
>the frame.
>Regards,
>Bill Cain, S.E.
>Berkeley  CA

MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access helps fight spam and pop-ups - now 2 months
FREE! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/