From: S. Gordin [mailto:scgordin(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 10:10 AM
To: Seaint@Seaint. Org
Subject: Re: Paris airport roof collapse

Quite funny, guys...

But all the fun is around a weird construction disaster in which four people had died.

This structure was apparently designed by reputable engineer and, due to its status, should have been checked so many times that its failure (especially such failure) would seem very unlikely.

The structure appears quite unusual and - in spite of many statements to the contrary (including the ones from the architect of record) - innovative, not to say risky. Remember, an oval-shaped cross-section, quite "shallow" and wide-spanned cylindrical concrete shell profusely perforated with square openings and the wing-shaped roof attached through spaced struts (links to detailed pictures were published on this list about a month ago)?

Did it fail at those struts? Could it be some dynamic (wind) loading from the "wings" that gradually destroyed concrete at the struts?

IMHO, it's worth knowing, even if/when we know everything about concrete :)...

May be, the French media (particularly, professional papers) provides more information?  Can some of our Canadian bi-lingual brethren shed more light on the issue?

Vyacheslav "Steve" Gordin, PhD
Registered Structural Engineer
Irvine CA - 949.552.5244