Re: Existing Hanger Evaluation

Consider a call to your state board.  Washington's board newletter recently had an example situation where an engineer died near the end of a project, and it was acceptable for another engineer to stamp the drawings after some sort of review.  I'm not sure that example rigidly followed the letter of the law, but apparently the extenuating circumstances were enough.  Of course, your state may feel differently, or the particulars of the situation may be different enough to invalidate the principle.  Also, if the existing building is old enough, perhaps the codes have changed enough to render the design obsolete.  Whatever the outcome, it usually doesn't hurt to ask.

Paul Crocker, PE, SE

>>> Mark Pemberton <markpemberton(--nospam--at)sbcglobal.net> 07/07/04 03:57PM >>>
Hello all,
I have a client who purchased an existing small aircraft hanger.  He has moved it and assembled it on a slab near other such hangers.  The city of course, is now asking for stamped plans and calculations for the structure and foundation.  He has all of the existing structure drawings and calculations, but the engineer who designed it is deceased.  The engineering company hew worked for does not exist any more.  I told him I could check the key elements for current code compliance, but that I could not stamp another engineer's work.  At the same time I can't imagine redrawing and re-calculating everything is doing anyone any good, but is that what really needs to be done?  There are several of these exact hangers currently on the property.  The foundation is a seperate issue as I'm sure the existing slab does not figure for all of the concentrated loads.  Any input on the subject would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Mark Pemberton, S.E.
Pemberton Engineering