Re: Ledger to stud connection

Checking theoretical values of small diam lags seems rather esoteric, given their low listed values and high demands on construction labor time and workmanship to correctly install them, compared to those 1/4 inch SDS self-drilling screws from a familiar proprietary source. Lags lag way, way behind as last resort in my designs, for all these reasons. Same for traditional wood screws, another installation bother.   --C. G.

----- Original Message -----
To: SEAINT
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 7:38 PM
Subject: Ledger to stud connection

I noticed in the 2001 NDS (Table 11J) that the value of a 3/8" lag screw
through a 2x ledger (Hem-Fir side member) into a stud (also Hem-Fir) is
zperp = 120#.  In Table 11N, the value for a 16d nail in a similar setup
is 122#.  Why such a small difference in values with such a large
difference in dowell diameters?  I am planning on checking these values
using the yield limit equations tomorrow.