RE: LG Truss bracing steel beams

I have used LGS trusses to brace the beam they are bearing on.  The roof was sheathed with plywood providing a load path for the lateral flange brace force and the trusses were at 2’-0” o.c.  The beam flanges weren’t extremely large (I don’t recall what the beam sizes were).  For small W-shapes, the lateral flange force is very small and typical roof truss framing and connections should have no problem resisting this lateral load, though reviewing the truss shop drawings should help to decide if the bottom chord has adequate axial capacity based on size, brace locations, etc.  For larger W-shapes, I would recommend specifying the connection from the truss to the W-beam and providing the lateral flange bracing force to the truss designer.  I would also recommend using an unbraced length adequate to allow 1 or 2 truss connections to “fail”... just an additional factor of safety.

I have a related question… If I design a beam which requires bracing only at the mid-span, but the actual detail will provide more bracing locations, (such as at 4’ or 5’ o.c.), does each brace have to be designed for 2% of the lateral flange force or can I assume that the brace locations share the load?

Bruce D. Holcomb, P.E., S.E.

Structural Engineer

Butler, Rosenbury & Partners

300 S. Jefferson, Suite 505

Springfield, MO 65806

ph. 417-865-6100

fax 417-865-6102

www.brpae.com

Architecture, Engineering, Interior Design, Planning & Development

Your Vision.  Our Focus.