RE: Joints in concrete floor slab on bar joists

Control joints are normally not used in an elevated slabs.

Slab section may check as an unreinforced section per ACI design provisions.

If slab doesn’t check for span, consider installing additional sub-framing to reduce slab span in lieu of demolishing concrete. External reinforcement placed on slab soffit may also work.

D. Matthew Stuart, P.E., S.E.

MASCE/SEI/BPAD

Senior Project Manager

200 State Highway Nine