RE: Calculation Software

Bill:
> You can usually find the "Pro" version of MathCad "on sale" for as little
> as $150, which makes it, to me, the best "bang for the buck."
This would definitely shift the advantage to MathCad, especially if the
nuclear people use it, but the cheapest I've found is $900.  I'll keep
looking, and thanks.

Christopher:
I used Mathmatica in college when taking some advanced math courses.  It was
very useful then, but not nearly so after school.  Thanks for the suggestion
though.

Dennis:
I haven't spotted anything about a "maintenance fee" on their web site, but
if so this would be a disadvantage.  I don't like maintenance fees, because
I don't tend to use technical support except for when I first use a product.
I expect the product to be stable enough to not need tech support (yeah, I
know, I expect too much).

Rick:
I finished my master's degree by taking evening courses 2 years ago.
Because of the expense and headache, I don't think my wife will go for any
more university classes this soon.  Actually, she said that if I wanted my
Doctorate my next wife could help pay for it.

Jake:
That's exactly what I want to hear about stability.  I hate it when a
program crashes.

Thanks to all for your suggestion.

---
Jason Kilgore