Re: "North to Alaska?"

Bill,

PROS:  You will love it.

CONS:  You will hate yourself for not doing it.

You will be spending time in Gods Country and life doesn't get better than watching the local mountains turn pink at sunset, having a beaver on the hood, a view lot from bootleggers cove, a good friend named George W., and everyone roots for Dee Dee.

Thomas Hunt, AK P.E. 8909
ABS Consulting

"Bill Polhemus" <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc>

07/08/2004 05:08 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
"North to Alaska?"

Well, I have been offered a contract position, 6 mos. To 1 year in Anchorage.

I have to say that at the dollars they’re talking (salary plus per diem) it’s awfully tempting. I would just grab a bag, my wife and daughter and go within a week or so, and leave “others” to mind things here till I get back.

PROS: Money, and a pretty good bit of it. The COL there is high, but the money they’re talking could more than cover that. I could hopefully refill my woefully-depleted bank account and allow me to come back and get back to business without the wolf at the door as is the case currently.

CONS: Well, we’d live the grandkids behind, and my wife will be quite despondent about that the whole time we’re gone. Also, if I’m THERE, I obviously won’t be doing anything HERE to drum up my own business.

The CONS are obviously outweighed by extreme poverty right now, but I’m still not 100% decided.

Anyone else live/work up there? Anyone been there? Comments?