RE: "North to Alaska?"

I'll offer the opposite view - I would say "don't go unless you take your
wife with you". Plan one or two trips for her to visit home while living
there.

Although my wife doesn't mind my short business trips (weekdays), when I
have taken extended assignments it has always created stress in our
marriage. I took a two year assignment in Anchorage for a project many years
ago, and I took my wife and children. The move was somewhat stressful at
first, but we look back on it as a great adventure. We had a number of
engineers move up there from Denver; several took their wives/families and
several did not. Those that did not were given a trip home for a week out of
every six weeks. Many of those that did not take their wives were divorced
either during or within a year after the 2-year assignment. Obviously Stan
has had a different experience, so you and your wife will have to determine
how well you can handle an extended stay away from home.

The winters can be long due to limited daylight hours, which can be
stressful if your wife doesn't make sure she gets out of the home regularly.
Hawaii is also a popular winter getaway for Alaskans to get a break from the
cold and darkness. (I took my family there for each year spent in Alaska.)
I'm not a fisherman, but I did go salmon and halibut fishing while in
Alaska. Just the thing to do there.

Good luck on your choice!

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)